Yesterday we had a beautiful roast leg of lamb. We reserved enough of the meat to go into this quick and easy curry inspired by Madhur Jaffrey. We used coconut cream but you could use plain yoghurt.
- left over lamb
- spinach leaves (or substitute for beets if you have them in the garden)
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- vegetable oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 5 cloves
- 2cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp freshly ground coriander seeds
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut cream (or 6 tbs yoghurt)
- a good couple of handfuls of fresh spinach (you could use frozen)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pour a little oil into a pan and heat.
- Add in the peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves, coriander, stir for a few seconds.
- add in onion, ginger and garlic and cook on a medium heat until the onions soften and take on a little colour, about 5 mins.
- Add the chopped up left over lamb, cumin, cayene and 1 tsp salt, stir and cook for a minute
- Add in half the coconut cream and stir to incorporate, cook for a minute
- Add in the rest of the coconut cream and stir, add in the spinach, stir until it is all wilted.
- Cover and cook for 20 mins.
- Take the lid off and cook for another 5 mins to thicken.
- Taste and add the other tsp of salt if needed.
Serve with rice and poppadoms.