Bacon! Bacon makes everything better, it goes with anything and the smell of it cooking draws everyone to the source of the beautiful aroma. My kids ask for it all the time and my youngest says for his last meal on earth he would want my home made bacon.
I make several different types of bacon but here is a beautiful recipe for you to try
- Pork belly cut.
- 500g plain salt (NOT iodised, I use a course kosha salt)
- 100g of brown sugar
- Small handful juniper berries (available at health food shops / spice shops and some Asian supermarkets)
- A sprig of fresh rosemary (you can use dried if you like)
- Handful black pepper corns
- 4 bay leaves
- Zest of an orange
- Grind the pepper and juniper berries
- Combine all the dry ingredients apart from the orange zest
- Zest the orange straight onto the belly
- Rub into the meat this is very important. You can't over do it. A good rub getting into every little flap, nook or cranny
- Put in fridge for 24 hours
- Remove from fridge, and flip the belly over.
- Bacon can be cured anything from 3 full days to a week. The longer you leave it the saltier it will get and the longer it will last. 3 days is perfect for BLT bacon!
- When finished take it out and wash all the cure mix off. Pat it dry. I like to hang it for a few hours to make sure its nice and dry if possible. Then give it a rinse all over with a white wine vinegar. This helps to prevent mold growing.
- Wrap in a cotton cloth and keep in the fridge. It should keep for a month, change the cloth weekly. I like to slice in half and freeze some for later too.
Perfect in a sandwich!